Name and Affiliation
The name of this organization shall be the Connecticut Microscopy Society. The acronym shall be ConnMS. ConnMS shall be affiliated with the Microscopy Society of America (MSA) and is a non-
Purpose and Goals
The purpose of this society is to bring together people interested in microscopy, and to identify expertise in Connecticut and surrounding states.
The goal of the society is to educate the members through participation in statewide meetings which will encompass investigative and technological advance.
Section 1 – Eligibility
- Regular membership shall be open to any person who has an interest in microscopy.
- Student membership shall be open to any full-time graduate or undergraduate college or university student.
- Corporate membership shall be open to any commercial or non-profit organization that has an interest in microscopy. A member organization may designate two representatives to receive all privileges (except they are not eligible to become officers) of membership. Any member of any sponsoring organization may also become a regular member.
Section 2 – Dues
The dues of the Society shall be determined by the Executive Board in accordance with the needs of the Society, and ratified by a majority of the members at the next general meeting. The annual dues shall be fifteen dollars for Regular membership, seven dollars and fifty cents for Student membership and a tier dues structure for Corporate membership. Dues shall become payable on July 1 of each year and will cover the following twelve months (i.e. membership year shall befrom July 1 to June 30). Any member who is delinquent in payment of dues for a period of six months shall be dropped from membership.
Section 3 – Meetings
Two meetings of the Society shall be held at such time and places as may be designated by the Executive Board. An additional meeting shall be held in conjunction with the New England Society for Electron Microscopy (NESEM) as long as this is agreeable to the memberships of both societies.
Section 4 – Official Year
The official year shall run from July 1 to June 30.
Section 1 – Composition
The Executive Board shall be composed of the following officers: the President, the vice President, the Secretary, the Treasurer and the immediate Past President The Editor of the newsletter shall serve as a non-voting ex-officio member.
Section 2 – Duties
The Executive Board shall manage the affairs of the Society in the best interests of the Society in accordance with its purpose. It shall authorize expenditures of funds of the Society and shall audit Society finances annually. It shall appoint the newsletter editor. All expenses associated with guest speakers shall be approved by the Executive Board in advance.
Section 1 – Eligibility
Only regular members (i.e. individuals who have paid full dues) of the Society are eligible for election to an office in the Society. The elected officers are the Vice President, the Secretary and the Treasurer. The President is always the previous year’s Vice President. Each officer shall serve a term of one year. Any previous year’s officer (with the exception of the Vice President) can run again for any elected office. All elected officers will begin their term on July 1 of each year. The Society shall elect other officers as may be deemed necessary. All officers should be members of the Micoscopy Society of America.
Section 2 – Duties
- Call and preside at meetings of the organization.
- Call and preside at meetings of the Executive Board.
- Appoint chairmen of Ad Hoc Committees.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of all committees except the Nomination Committee.
- Serve as the Society’s representative to the MSA and as the liaison to NESEM.
- Is responsible for all functions of the Society and it’s officers.
- Perform the duties of the President in his/her absence.
- Serve as General Chairman for Statewide meetings and appoint committees as required.
- Prepare for the assumption of he Presidency.
- Perform such other duties as assigned by the President.
- Prepare and keep the minutes of all membership meetings and those of the Executive Board.
- Issue notices of general meetings.
- Handle and file all correspondence of the organization.
- Maintain an updated role of members.
- Notify MSA and NESEM of changes in officers.
- Send articles of Society activities to the Microscopy Society of America Bulletin.
- Provide membership mailing labels to the Vice President, Treasurer and the Newsletter Editor when necessary.
- Receive all membership applications/dues and forward the dues to the treasurer.
- Collect all moneys, disburse all funds and keep an updated account of the society.
- Present a report of income and expenses at General and Executive Board meetings of the Society.
- Submit an annual written report at the end of the official year (June 30) for audit.
- Provide written reports to the newsletter editor for publication in the Society’s newsletter.
Section 3 – Nominating Committee and Nominations
The Nominating Committee shall consist of a Nominating Chairman appointed by the President and two members selected by the Executive Board. Nominations shall be made by the Nominating Committee and from recommendations made by the general membership. A call for nominations from the general membership shall be made at the first general meeting of the calendar year. The Committee shall make every effort to submit the names of two candidates for each office to the Executive Board.
Section 4 – Elections
All members of the society are eligible to vote. An official ballot shall be prepared by the Nominating Committee and sent to all members by May 15 with a written return date of June 1. Officers shall be elected by a majority of votes on all ballots returned.
Newsletter and the Newsletter Editor
Section 1 – The Newsletter
The Newsletter shall be published three times a year; fall/winter, spring and summer. The entire cost of the Newsletter shall be borne by the Society unless other arrangements are made.
Section 2 – Responsibilities of the Newsletter Editor
The Newsletter editor shall be responsible for writing, editing, producing and mailing out the Newsletter. All advertising revenue shall be collected by the Newsletter editor and forwarded to the treasure.
The Executive Board shall appoint from its own members or the general membership of the Society such committees as it considers necessary or helpful in managing the affairs of the society.
The President or his/her designate (ConnMS members in good standing) shall attend the annual MSA meeting and the meeting of the Local Affiliate Societies. Travel expenses may be defrayed by the Society on application to the ConnMS Executive Board.
The awarding of funds (approximately $1000.00) is dependent on the funds currently in the treasury.
The Bylaws of the Society may be suspended or amended by a majority vote of the Executive Board present and voting. A quorum for passage of the amendment or suspension shall consist of a simple majority of the members, voting at a general meeting or by mail ballot.